for Maximum Reduced Energy Consumption and Expense
The following points compare Lodging Technology’s GEM Link™ Wireless energy management system to generically similar systems that do not utilize entry door switches. An Entry Door Switch is an essential component of a properly designed and operating guestroom energy management system.
- Lodging Technology’s approach to guestroom energy management and the methods utilized to accomplish maximum energy savings, without compromising guest comfort, are very different from competitors. GEM Link® is a “pure” energy management system; not a thermostat with a few EMS features. GEM Link® will reduce energy expense on any HVAC unit of any age of any voltage with any type thermostat, including any non-wall thermostat unit. GEM Link® connects to PTAC, PTHP, Fan Coil, Split Systems, high-mount Mini-Splits, 26” Window units, and electric heaters. A hotel or other facility is not tied to a specific brand, model, or type HVAC. Some occupancy-based EMS systems will only work with a specific brand or model HVAC unit.
- Lodging Technology was the first to utilize an entry door switch to “lock” the system into an Occupied Mode while guests are in the room. GEM Link® does not have to constantly detect guests as in systems that do not utilize an entry door switch. Once guests are detected in the room, with the entry door closed, the system locks into an “Occupied Mode” to allow HVAC operation under normal guest control without further detection of guest presence. It does not matter if guests are in the bathroom for 10 minutes or 4 hours, are sleeping, or simply sitting in the corner reading a book. The HVAC unit will continue to operate at the guest’s selected temperature without requiring further detection as though GEM Link® was never installed. Opening of the entry door switch immediately alerts GEM Link® that guests may have left.
- Systems that do not use an entry door switch require continuous detection of guests to insure proper HVAC operation. If guests are not detected for a period of time (such as when sleeping, sitting still at the work station, or in the bathroom showering), the HVAC unit WILL be turned off. When the guest moves and is again detected the HVAC turns on again. This constant turning on and off of the HVAC unit WILL generate guest complaints, and shortens the life of the HVAC unit.
- The HVAC WILL turn off on construction and airline crews that work at night and sleep during the day, if there is no entry door switch with which to “lock” in an occupied mode. (NOTE: PIR Sensors cannot detect sleeping guests through bed linens.).
- An entry door switch allows GEM Link® to prohibit HVAC operation when guests leave the entry door open, such as an exterior corridor entry hotel. Without an entry door switch, guests can operate the HVAC with the door open to the outside, thus wasting significant energy and promoting mold / mildew.
- Utilizing an entry door switch allows GEM Link® to instantly activate the HVAC unit when guests open the entry door to enter the room, prior to guest detection. As guests enter, the HVAC is already operating making the system more transparent to guests.
- GEM Link® Wireless is designed and manufactured in the United States in Internationally Certified ISO 9001:2015 facilities for the highest quality with a Two-Year Warranty. Lodging Technology is a veteran owned business.
GEM Link® Wireless
Reduces Room Energy Expense 20% – 25% More than systems without a Door Switch.
©2020 LTC Enterprises, LLC